Thursday, December 15, 2011

Where does the Poetic fit in?

I would like to respond to a question that was posted recently.

It is this type of question that I hope people will continue to post on the site. My goal is to test my ideas and to encourage feedback so that I can develop the ideas further through this kind of discourse.

" where does the act of associative, spontaneous, non-linear, non-rational creative thinking fit-in...i.e. the poetic source leading to the poetic act..." scott sivan


I very much appreciate your question. It was questioning like yours that led me to ask: "what is occurring within designers, when we enter into the process of designing?"

I have wondered about the source of the poetic for as long as I can remember. My question was not 'what is the poetic', but 'how does the poetic interact within the process of designing', that led me first to develop a 'to-design awareness' diagram, which positions the poetic on one side and the the logical or rational on the other with a gathering space to meet and intertwine in the middle. The Datum Line Equation rests within this diagram.

The poetic source and act is a topic philosophers, poets, writers, artist and architects have been investigating for millennia. I will not be addressing this topic directly in my work, but I can say I believe that the 12 factors allow for the act of the associative, intuitive, spontaneous, non-linear, non-rational creative thinking and ideas to 'latch onto' or 'bond with'.

Poetic  inspiration is one of the forces that flow through the factors, and the factors give the poetic force a syntax, for the poetic to emerge as a response to the problem.

The factors are there to strengthen and nourish the poetic, so that the poetic can blossom into its full maturity.

I think you may enjoy Anthony C. Antoniades notable book, Poetics of Architecture. He tackles your question in a comprehensive manner. He reminds us that the root of the word poetic comes from a Greek verb that means "to make". "The making of space, the making of music, the making of architecture... the making of poems...". He writes about the concept of 'inclusivity' and explores different design philosophies and theories of creativity and poetics with the intent of extracting the virtues of each of these multidimensional perspectives in order "to weave a relevant reconciliatory framework".  

For me the poetic is an ethereal force that finds its home 'in the making'. It is here 'in the making' the poetic  becomes illuminated and meaning can be derived and experienced. This is why I developed the Datum Line Equation, so that a designer can see where their poetic energy can be directed and received.

No comments:

Post a Comment