Thursday, December 22, 2011

Making Something

I stated in my first post, that I developed a 'Datum Line Equation', which contains12 core factors, which I believe captures the breadth of what resides in any given architectural design. I want to be clear with you, this equation is 'on trial'. It is here to be tested, revised and/or expanded on. I have presented the concept on this blog, for the purpose for you to engage it, test it and see if it supports your design process. But before I proceed any further in describing the Datum Line Equation and its relationship to the design process,
I would like to quote the modern mystic architect, philosopher and poet Louis I. Kahn, who's voice has been influential in my thinking and pursuit.
 'Making Something'
“There is a distinction between nature’s laws and our rules. We work by rules, but we employ nature’s laws to make something. The rule is made to be changed, but nature cannot change its laws. If it did, there would be no Order whatsoever. There would be what we think is chaos. The laws of nature tell us that the color, the weight, the position of the pebble on the beach are undeniable. The pebble is placed there non-consciously by the interplay of the laws of nature. A rule is a conscious act needing circumstances to prove its validity or its need for change.

Any rule you have is really there on trial. The greatest moment of a rule is change: when that rule comes to a higher level of realization, that leads to a new rule. To discover a new rule is to discover a new avenue of expression.

That is why dealing with aesthetics, which are rules of art, is very dangerous. I would say that one should not employ any aesthetics. Aesthetics are realized out of the singularity of a making in which someone, sensitive to how the rules might be employed, makes an aesthetic principle. Aesthetics come after you make something, not before. You can leave aesthetics too someone else, to the architectural critic, for instance.

Now what I have said is a categorical statement, which should be forgotten, because there are those who look at it very seriously another way. But let them think of it that way. I think of it this way because I can work this way and others can work their way. Therein lies the beauty of people, within whom the greatest completeness of an odyssey of their making exists, beautiful in so many ways.”

Louis I. Kahn
 From: Between Silence & Light, pg. 26, 1979: by John Lobell

With Louis I. Kahn's poetic words echoing in my ears, I will forge forward each week, knowing I can further clarify and articulate the ideas and concepts behind the Datum Line Equation. I will start by setting the background for the Datum Line Equation and then for each of the factors, I will present narrative, lists, charts, diagrams, images, personally conducted interviews of architects and quotes from others, which I hope will be useful guides for your journey into designing.

No comments:

Post a Comment